The World Class Traveler

The World Class Traveler

Monday, May 26, 2014

How to Say Goodbye To Paris, For Now

So today's post is going to give you a good idea of just how crazy I can be! No tour company today, I'm on my own and this is how I spent my last day in Paris!!

I loved seeing the Eiffel Tower from the waters of the Seine River during my cruise yesterday, so of course I need to have a closer look!  I must say riding the metro system was an experience in itself! Seems everyone in Paris rides the metro so there was a lot of us crammed into this particular section of the train. And oh, don't expect to get a seat!  Tip: Just put on your headphones, relax and enjoy the views.

While standing in line to purchase my ticket to the top I met two ladies who were from Seattle Washington.  They became my new best friends and we spent the rest of the day together.  And this is why I love to travel!!


There are three levels of the Eiffel Tower and each level of the Tower has something different to offer, from restaurants to exhibitions, video and shops.  I chose to check out the second level where I had some fantastic views of the Parisian landscape, from the majestic Sacre-Coeur on the hill of Montmatre to the ribbon of the Seine winding across the city. There are lots of telescopes that you can pay to use for a closer look at different aspects of the city, and the story windows on the inner core of the level explain how the old and new lifts worked to transport visitors to the top of the Tower.


I made it to the top and the views were amazing!  I felt like I was on top of the World, and it looked like it too!








Since my new best friends from Seattle had a plan for the rest of the day, they invited me to tag along.  I say "why not?"
As we walked along cobblestone streets lined with shops and bakeries, I just couldn't help myself from peeking in every window at all the deliciousness!










We made our way to the Montmatre area of Paris to see the Basilica of Sacre-Coeur


It was quite the climb to the top but once inside, I must say it was well worth it!




After coming back outside I was blown away by the view of the city below!


We spent some time just walking the streets, and boy let me tell you there are plenty of hills and stairs to climb to get around here!





I think next time I will be taking this little white "mini train" through these narrow, cobbled, hilly streets.



As we continued, I somehow couldn't help but feel I was walking through the pages of a storybook





And then we came upon some gentlemen playing a very popular game in France called, Petanque.  This game is similar to British lawn bowling or Italian bocce. 








We could not end this day without stopping here......





For you movie buffs you know exactly what I'm talking about.  Yep, the 2003 movie "Somethings Gotta Give"


We are sitting at the exact table that Diane Keaton was having dinner with Keanu Reeves celebrating her birthday.


My day has come to an end and I must say good-bye to Paris......for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment